RSS Follow Become a Fan

Teaching
Terminology
test
powered by

My Blog

IS DYSLEXIA REAL?

My school does not recognize dyslexia as a learning disability.  My principal says he/she has no one on staff trained to teach a student with dyslexia. My child's school system does not test/screening for dyslexia. What am I to do?

These are statements we hear from bewildered parents phoning or emailing our office and from their cries on social media sites. We hear from teachers, too, who are trying to meet the needs of all their students. I get requests from teachers and principals: "Come and just help us learn the characteristics." Others ask, "I have some training in teaching dyslexic students, but how do I incorporate that into my regular classroom?"

While progress has been made in recent years, the lack of information and misinformation is staggering.  Dyslexia has been in Federal legislation since the passage of PL 94-142 in 1975, known as Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). This law said that a free, appropriate education must be available for all handicapped children by September 1980-a well-kept secret?

In 2004,Congress reauthorized IDEA, adding stronger requirements. Many states, including my own, have or are passing specific laws which address dyslexia.

We have argued over terminology while students suffer. As I point out in my book, DYSLEXIA: A TEACHER'S JOURNEY, there's still is a vast amount of confusion with learning disability, specific learning disability, and dyslexia. I prefer dyslexia because a precise type of teaching is implied. However, the crucial factor is appropriate help NOW for those bright children who are thought of as lazy, dumb, pampered, and all those other inaccurate, derogatory terms.

Parents: know your rights and don't be intimidated.The law is on your side.

Watch for future blurbs on this issue.

10 Comments to IS DYSLEXIA REAL?:

Comments RSS
Anonymous on Sunday, June 08, 2014 5:12 AM
Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you really realize what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also visit my web site =). We can have a link change contract between us!
Reply to comment

Blog Commenting on Wednesday, June 25, 2014 8:15 PM
The genre also became the favoured tool of traditionalists of the 18th and 19th centuries, such as Edmund Burke and Samuel Taylor Coleridge,
Reply to comment

bulk sms india on Monday, September 01, 2014 1:08 AM
I like what you guys are doing. This type of clever work and exposure! Continue the amazing work guys you to our blog roll.

bulk sms india on Monday, September 01, 2014 1:08 AM
Thank you, I'm looking for information on this topic for a long time and yours is the best I've discovered so far. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the source?

UPVC Windows India on Saturday, September 06, 2014 3:28 AM
Excellent and A wonderful read! Your article is the best one I have learnt, and it has helped me. Keep doing that...
Reply to comment

UPVC Windows India on Saturday, September 06, 2014 3:28 AM
Reply to comment

Dr Adams Person, Scholarly Journal on Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:12 AM
Fantastic and A heavenly read! Your article is informative.Learn More information, and it has helped me. Continue information expected from you.
Reply to comment

Ruth on Tuesday, November 17, 2015 12:10 PM
Thank you for your kind words.

Essay on Monday, July 04, 2016 10:54 PM
It is superb content I thought and even I was searching similar this subject articles for knowing about it. And I truly enjoyed to read plus collected a tremendous information about it.
Reply to comment